With fall upon us, we want to take a moment to remind you to slow down and take in the crisp air. We hope you all did great on your midterms and that school is going smoothly. We would like to wish you all a happy and safe Thanksgiving with your families!
Service Requests: Please make sure that you put in work orders for your apartment ASAP when you have identified a potential problem.
After-Hours Requests: If it is after hours, please call (775) 770-4887, and the on-call technician or Community Assistant will determine whether the work order is an emergency or not.
Reminders & Updates
Rent is always due on the 1st of the month, but you do have until the 4th to get the payment into us. Also, if the check or money order is mailed in, we will honor the day the enveloped is postmarked, even if it comes in after the 4th.
We have pet stations set up all around our community, so please use those when you’re walking your dog(s) around the property. Also, make sure your pet is registered through the front office, or we will have to enforce the rules and regulations of the lease. If you fail to clean up after your pets, they can be removed from the community due to noncompliance to this matter.
The balcony stickers on your patio door windows should not be tampered with and need to remain on the doors. Also, please abide by the details on those stickers. Further action may be initiated for noncompliance to the rules of usage of the balcony.
Share Your Experience on Our Social Media: We are still looking for everyone to share their experience in our community on Facebook and Instagram. In this newsletter, there are URLs for you to navigate to our social media pages so you can review motivational quotes and reminders for upcoming events. We encourage you, your friends, and your roommates to come into the office to discuss ways that we can incorporate your experiences in our community.
Building a Career in College
College is such a busy, crazy time for many people that focusing on the here and now is all most can do. Well, good news! There are several ways to incorporate career building into your everyday busy life. By taking the following steps, you’ll be on your way to creating a successful future for yourself:
- Visit your university’s career center. Employers are focusing more and more on experience and skills rather than just good grades. Get in touch with organizations through the career center to branch out and participate in different activities you normally wouldn’t have. This gives you a chance to explore your major and others, and see what you’re truly passionate about.
- Evaluate yourself. Your future employer will want to know why you’re a good fit for their company. College is about finding your strengths and weaknesses — take time now to figure out your skills, values, personality traits, and interests. Learning about yourself will help prepare you for interviews when you’re hit with the question, “What do you think you will excel at the most in this position?”
- Challenge yourself. The more you’re willing to get out of your comfort zone, the more likely you’re to overcome your weaknesses. Apply for the part-time job at your apartment complex you normally wouldn’t apply for, or take that theater class you’ve always wanted to take. By challenging yourself, you’re building important skills and personality traits that will help you rise within your field.
- Take your work seriously. Whether you have a part-time job or volunteer, take the experience seriously. You can use previous supervisors for references when you are beginning your career. It will pay off in the long run to succeed in the workplace by building useful skills that you’ll have for life.
- Find a mentor. Find someone who is doing what you want to do. You can search on LinkedIn to get connected and network with others in your field who are also passionate about what they do. Talk to your professors and pick their brains as to why they chose the career they did. Once you find a mentor, everything can change. You become more motivated to succeed in something you love doing because you have someone who makes the experience a million times better.
Star Wars Marathon — Thursday, November 2 from 7–10 p.m. — Come down to the hot tub to watch the Jedi return with the help of the hot tub jets!
National Nacho Day — Monday, November 6 @ 6:45 until food runs out — Celebrate National Nacho Day with our ultimate nacho bar. Make sure to stop by the office to enjoy a cheesy treat!
Office Open Late — November 7 and 28 from 6–8 p.m. — Hang out with your favorite Highlands’ staff extra late, and learn more about the property!
Mean Girls and Mochi — Thursday, November 9 @ 6 p.m. — Come down to the office to satisfy your mochi craving and watch Mean Girls.
Rings of Decoration — Sunday, November 12 from 3–5 p.m. — Get in the holiday spirit by personalizing and decorating a beautiful wreath to welcome the holidays.
Food Drive — November 13–20 — Share the wonderful gift of giving by donating non-perishable food to the Food Bank of Northern Nevada. Bins will be located in the front office.
Create Your Own Pizza — Wednesday, November 15 @ 6 p.m. until food runs out — Enjoy a cheesy break from midterms, and stop by the front office to build your own free pizza!
Caramel Apple Bar — Friday, November 17 from 6–7:30 p.m. — Dunk into the front office for a sweet treat, and build your own caramel apple!
Rival Week Kickoff — Sunday, November 19 from 5–7 p.m. — Cheer your way into the front office to support the University of Nevada, Reno’s football team as they prepare to play UNLV!
Friendsgiving — Tuesday, November 21 @ 6 p.m. until food runs out — Celebrate an exciting Friendsgiving at the front office with your friends, roommates, and your favorite staff as we gobble down a delicious meal.
Cookie Social — Monday, November 27 @ 6 p.m. until cookies run out — Come down to the front office to decorate and enjoy some delicious cookies!
November Birthday Celebrations — Thursday, November 30 from 9 a.m.–6 p.m. — Swing by the front office to celebrate all November birthdays and enjoy a delicious cupcake!