We hope that you all did well on your midterms and can now relax. With Thanksgiving right around the corner, we would like to wish you safe travels as you visit your families. We will still be hosting events through November, so be sure to come down and enjoy all the exciting things we have to offer!
Service Requests: We would like to give our maintenance crew a huge shoutout as they work very hard to get service requests completed in a 48-hour timeframe! Please make sure that you put in work orders for your apartment ASAP when you have identified a potential problem. You can submit service requests via your online portal, over the phone, or in the office. Our Community Assistants will gladly help with any issues you may be having.
After-Hours Requests: If it is after hours, please call the on-call number at (775)-770-4887, and the technician or Community Assistant that is on call will determine whether the work order is an emergency or not.
Reminders & Updates
Renewal season is upon us! Be sure to stop by the front office or send us an email to [email protected] to get your renewal offer. Then, accept and sign your offer to secure your spot!
We will be hosting Friendsgiving on November 19 at 4 p.m. This will be a catered food event, so be sure to grab your friends and join us in the front office to enjoy your Thanksgiving at The Highlands.
If you have any roommate issues or concerns, please contact the front office and talk with our Resident Director about what is going on. We are here to help you and your roommates have a great living experience at The Highlands.
Building a Career in College
College is such a busy, crazy time for many people that focusing on the here and now is all most can do. Well, good news! There are several ways to incorporate career building into your everyday busy life. By taking the following steps, you’ll be on your way to creating a successful future for yourself:
- Check out the Career Success Portal. Did you know that your community offers you 24/7 access to millions of jobs and internships along with many tools to improve your resume and interviewing skills? Check out CareerSuccessPortal.com and create an account today!
- Visit your university’s career center. Employers are focusing more and more on experience and skills rather than just good grades. Get in touch with organizations through the career center to branch out and participate in different activities you normally wouldn’t have. This gives you a chance to explore your major and others, and see what you’re truly passionate about.
- Evaluate yourself. Your future employer will want to know why you’re a good fit for their company. College is about finding your strengths and weaknesses — take time now to figure out your skills, values, personality traits, and interests. Learning about yourself will help prepare you for interviews when you’re hit with the question, “What do you think you will excel at the most in this position?”
- Challenge yourself. The more you’re willing to get out of your comfort zone, the more likely you’re to overcome your weaknesses. Apply for the part-time job at your apartment complex you normally wouldn’t apply for, or take that theater class you’ve always wanted to take. By challenging yourself, you’re building important skills and personality traits that will help you rise within your field.
- Take your work seriously. Whether you have a part-time job or volunteer, take the experience seriously. You can use previous supervisors for references when you are beginning your career. It will pay off in the long run to succeed in the workplace by building useful skills that you’ll have for life.
- Find a mentor. Find someone who is doing what you want to do. You can search on LinkedIn to get connected and network with others in your field who are also passionate about what they do. Talk to your professors and pick their brains as to why they chose the career they did. Once you find a mentor, everything can change. You become more motivated to succeed in something you love doing because you have someone who makes the experience a million times better.
Did you know you can build your credit history just by paying your rent? A strong credit history can help you with achieving personal and professional success. We have partnered with RentTrack to offer you the opportunity to have your rent payments reported to all three credit bureaus! Participants in this program have seen their credit scores go up an average of 51 points! Get more details and enroll today at renttrack.com/campusadvantage.
Dia de los Muertos — Friday, November 2 from 6–7 p.m. — Stop by the front office to enjoy Coco while eating popcorn and snacks for the perfect movie for the Day of the Dead.
Mugs and Cider — Sunday, November 4 from 2–4 p.m. — Come on down to the clubhouse to enjoy some cider while creating your own special mugs!
DIY Bath Bomb — Friday, November 9 from noon–2 p.m. — Join us in the front office to create your own bath bomb, so you can enjoy a relaxing night after a stressful day of school!
DIY Fall Décor — Sunday, November 11 from 4–6 p.m. — Need something new for your room or living space? Come on down and make your own mason jar with fall décor to make your place more festive.
Canned Food Drive — Thursday, November 15 from 4–6 p.m. — We’ll have a table set up for the cans to be set on and will be donating the cans to the local homeless shelter. We will also be doing a raffle, so come down and put in some cans for some sweet prizes!
Pie Walk — Friday, November 16 from 5–7 p.m. — We will be putting on a Pie Walk. We’ll have pies out for you to enjoy, and we’ll also be hosting a walk to win pies for you take home for the holidays.
Friendsgiving — Monday, November 19 from 4–6 p.m. — One of our biggest events for the month is going to be Friendsgiving! All residents are more than welcome to come down and eat some food and hang out with friends right before the holidays come.
Pizza Social — Monday, November 26 from 4–6 p.m. — Come down to the clubhouse and enjoy some pizza with the staff and other residents.
DIY Crayon Art — Friday, November 30 from noon–2 p.m. — We’ll be setting up a table with blow dryers and Crayons, so you can come down and make your very own artwork for your apartment.