We hope you’ve all gotten settled into your new homes! With school in full swing, our staff would like to wish you luck on all of your classes. As a reminder, if you didn’t make it to some of our August events, don’t worry; we have some planned for every month throughout the school year! We hope to see all of you at these events as we strive to give you a sense of community.
We would like to give our maintenance crew a huge shout-out as they work very hard to get service requests completed in a 48-hour time frame! As for putting in service requests, you can do that on your online portal, over the phone, or in the office.
After-Hours Requests: If it is after hours, please call (775) 770-4887, and the on-call technician or Community Assistant will determine whether the work order is an emergency or not.
Reminders & Updates
With all of you working hard in your classes, please remember to take some time to rest and take care of yourself! Maybe try to dedicate one night a week to unwinding and taking a break.
We’re a pet-friendly community. That said, please make sure that your animals are registered with the front office! Also, we have doggy stations set up throughout the property, so please use these to pick up after your dog(s) on a consistent basis. If you fail to register your pets with the front office or clean up after them, they can be removed from the community due to noncompliance to this matter.
We do hope that you’re enjoying your new home here at The Highlands! If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our front office staff — we’re here and ready to help.
Our Social Media: Feel free to add us on all social media outlets and share your experiences with us. We encourage you, your friends, and your roommates to come into the office to discuss ways that we can incorporate your experiences in our community. Also, look for flyers about upcoming events happening here at The Highlands.
Tips on Living with Roommates!
Perhaps one of the greatest advantages of living in a Campus Advantage community is the opportunity to live and work closely with all types of people. We know that living with roommates isn’t always easy, whether you moved in with friends or were matched up with new people. Either way, it’s perfectly normal to have the occasional roommate conflict, and there’s actually a lot to be gained from handling a difficult situation maturely and respectfully.
We want to make sure you have the tools to handle these situations should they arise, so check out the tips below to ensure you and your roommates have the best living experience possible this year:
- Schedule a roommate meeting: Set up a time for all roommates to get together and have a proactive conversation about each person’s preferences and expectations when it comes to cleanliness, guests, sleeping/study times, the use of others belongings or food, etc.
- Be open minded: You and your roommates may be very different, and that’s OK! Stay open minded and positive about your roommates’ views and experiences, and you may end up learning a lot about them and yourself in the process.
- Give each other space: Even though your apartment is made for multiple people, everyone appreciates having space to themselves once in a while. Make sure you’re sharing time in common areas and respecting each other’s privacy.
- When in doubt, talk it out: Most problems can be solved by just talking through the issue before it gets out of hand. If something is seriously bugging you about one of your roommates, bring it to them in a mature one-on-one conversation before bringing in other roommates or escalating the situation. Passive-aggressive behaviors won’t help.
- Divide responsibilities: While every roommate should commit to cleaning up after themselves, determine the best way to divide other responsibilities, such as taking out the trash, vacuuming, cleaning the kitchen, etc., to ensure everyone plays their part.
- Use conflict resolution backup: While talking can usually fix an issue in its early stages, sometimes a more structured approach is necessary. If you’ve tried and feel your efforts aren’t helping resolve an issue between roommates, reach out to your Community Assistant or the management team to help you brainstorm options. The management team is trained and willing to help conduct a roommate mediation process if necessary, but is also happy to provide you with tips and tools to handle it yourself.
We want you to have a successful living experience while at our community, but we know that living with roommates can mean an occasional difference of opinion. When roommates decide to communicate their expectations, listen and try to understand each other, and care about each other’s well-being, the many great memories you make will outweigh any small conflict you may have.
Sing the Night Away — Tuesday, September 5 from 6–7:30 p.m. — Still getting to know your neighbors? What better way to do that than to sing with them! Feel free to come solo or with a friend and sing karaoke.
Ball Out — Saturday, September 9 from 4:15–7 p.m. — Get a basketball team together and join us in a tournament. There will be 1st and 2nd place prizes!
DIY Spa Night — Tuesday, September 12 from 6–8 p.m. — Come down to the front office and create a lip scrub, a bath bomb, or a facial mask!
Build Your Own Pizza — Thursday, September 14 from 6:30–7:15 p.m. — Join us in the front office to build your own pizza! We’ll have plenty of toppings and ingredients.
Pizza and Chill — Sunday, September 17 from 4:30–6 p.m. — Come relax outside the front office and enjoy some pizza and music!
Hot Dogs and Hot Dawgs — Wednesday, September 20 from 6–8:15 p.m. — Get to know other pet owners! Join us at the pool with your dogs and enjoy some hot dogs! There will be little treat bags for your pups.
Door Decorations — Tuesday, September 26 from 5–6:30 p.m. — Come hang out in the front office and create a door decoration either for your bedroom door or for your front door!
Board Game Night — Friday, September 29 from 6–7:30 p.m. — Come hang out on the back patio by the pool and play some board games with your neighbors!